Wednesday, August 11, 2010

from locks to posts

Interesting how I am now "posting" for all the world to see the notes from my mind that I used to lock away in my diary. I guess since everyone else's business is "posted" 24/7 there is so much noise we all figure no one will care to look. That's kind of depressing. Like streaking across a sports field when the seats are filled with bookworms. Some how we feel like we've "shared" something if we hit submit. Also interesting that we use the word "submit" - are we submitting to a whole new way our society behaves as a result of new communication tools? Are we all OK giving up the art of coffee shop conversations and the magic of eye contact?
Well, now that I think of all this, I wonder if this is the right forum in which I want to have an identity crisis. Not really a crisis I guess, just feeling a bit uncomfortable. Over the past 5 years I've lost a parent, developed and abandoned a professional role as community organizer, taken on owning an online business and most shocking: have become (and am becoming) a parent. When I consider the turn around time for all that, I believe whiplash is understandable. I wonder though, if I take the time to consider how all these activities have altered my position with the rest of the world .... will I feel more comfortable in my skin than I do now? And will I feel even more lost writing such personal thoughts into the ether of  endless babble and status updates?

No comments:

Post a Comment