Sunday, August 22, 2010

concise or inaccurate?

It amazes me how many people decide to put a picture of someone other than themselves as their profile picture. Recently I scanned an old photo of myself at age three and most people on Facebook assumed it was a photo of my daughter. Yes, it's sweet that so many consider us to look similar, but what concerned me was how many people assume that the picture representing me would be a shot of my daughter. Maybe many parents do this since many of us have FB accounts to primarily keep up to speed with family and friends and share the visual tidbits of life. There are certainly many non-parents who also do not have a photo of themselves, but a picture of their pet, favorite cartoon character or celebrity. Then, any of us in a relationship struggle with: should I have a couple shot - if they have one, I should too.... I'm sure it's just another relationship descriptor as couples start off - waiting for the moment you've "made it" to their profile picture.

So, am I conceited because I assumed that my profile picture was supposed to be one of just ME? Looking up the definition of "profile" I figure we're all talking about the meaning: "concise biographical sketch" in this case? Maybe I'm not the only one in a bit of a tizzy since having a child - and I can't separate who I am from who I gave birth to? Or, is "who I am" still as wrapped up in "what I do" as it was when I had an impressive-sounding title on my business card? And, if we do assume it is best to choose a photo with our significant others - are we doing it out of obligation? Because we are all about that relationship? Maybe we just looked best in that photo.

It is a lot to ask of one photo to be a concise biographical sketch of a whole person. Maybe the definition: "a representation of something in outline" is a more accurate take on how we respond to a "Profile Picture" request. And, perhaps, the way we each to select a profile photo reflects a lot more of our true identity than whatever the illustration depicts. Consider the people in your circle who change their photo constantly. What about those that don't take the time to find one and stick with the silhouette? And those who you can tell are taking most of these shots with their own cameras at the end of their fingertips ... I imagine them looking at themselves on the screen and adjusting their expression until it is just so.

Hopefully I didn't just make anyone too hyper-aware of their self-expression on FB. The Facebook experience is so similar to the day we'd sign yearbooks at the end of school. I would have that anxiety that my "closing remarks" wouldn't stand out or that a candid shot was in there somewhere when I had an acne breakout. Here we are, all vying for attention within this intangible meeting spot which provides an anonymous pass into your life. At least, unlike the yearbook, this book is so much bigger, no one is going to happen upon your page unless they really wanted to know more about you. And, isn't it sort of satisfying to think that others want to know more about you? Even if you can't figure yourself out yet?

1 comment:

  1. Your picture on facebook is not just the personification of who you are, nor is being a mom, a partner, a friend or daughter or a business women. Who you are is the sum of many different things.

    I am not the same women I was when I was in high school or in college, when I married Rob or when I came to US and at the same time I am the same person. Physical features have changed over time (aging)but I still might react in the same way to certain things or people as I did 5, 10 or even 30 years back.

    Life changing events, like losing very important people in your life or potentially life threatening illnesses will change you and at the same time I think you are still the same person. All those experiences are shaping you; some call that life experience.

    We are changing all the time as the world around us is changing, but I still believe that the core of who we are stays the same.
    It is our attitude towards life that will change over time and makes us who we are, how we face the world and the people around us, while at the same time we will stay true to our own inner self.

    When my daughter is in the village I grew up in, many people can see that she is my daughter, since there are many similarities, and I like that. She is a completely different person, but she has certain similar features.

    ReplyDelete