Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mind Sweep

While I pride myself on not wasting too much of my life in dusting, organizing and polishing - I have recently realized the healing power of removing physical clutter from my environment. Along with purging that physical clutter I see that I can also process a lot of emotional baggage that I didn't think was still weighing me down. As I have stuffed things in "memory boxes" perhaps I did more than simply packing up nostalgia. Surprise! Even though my background in a 12-step program trained me to be open it's still my natural tendency to BOTTLE! And, another surprise: just because I've talked, written, painted, cried, and hit as I process - does not mean I took the final step in letting it GO.

A quote that I have painted (among many others) on my bathroom wall finally makes more sense to me: "It's never to late to be what you might have been." (George Eliot... who ironically, was really Mary Anne Evans). I always figured that referred to professional aspirations, which seemed pretty hokey - seriously, you have to give up being a pilot in the Air Force at some point. Now, ah-ha, I see the need for faith that I do not have to settle for the natural tendencies I have become familiar with practicing. And, I have the freedom to try on new habits before deciding if they are a good fit.

Here I am - now before the nebulous online audience to hold me accountable to trying on a new personal exercise. Keeping my mind clear by purging material clutter. Perhaps I'll find something interesting once some cobwebs are out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment